Updated 06:07 PM EDT, Tue, May 11, 2021

Ebola Outbreak 2014 News Update, Watchlist & Death Toll: Charlotte 'At Risk' Patient Arrives; Maine Nurse to Leave Town

  • +
  • -
  • Sign up to receive the lastest news from LATINONE
Close

The Mecklenburg County Health Department said in a statement that an individual arriving in Charlotte, North Carolina from one of the Ebola hot zones in West Africa might be infected with the disease, WCNC reports.

According to health officials, the person is categorized as having "some risk" for the deadly virus by factors outlined by The Center for Disease Control or CDC. The group defines such as "an individual who had close contact in households, healthcare facilities or community settings with a person with Ebola while the person was infectious and may need to be quarantined," WCNC stated.

Charlotte Observer reported that the possible Ebola victim will be monitored closely as well as other people who have traveled from West Africa. Quarantine may also be necessary, WCNC added.

Charlotte's health department said that they will give updates "once staff have had an opportunity to evaluate the traveler," Charlotte Observer noted.

The Mecklenburg County Health Department stated that the patient arrived in Charlotte in private ground transportation, as opposed to the usual point of arrival via Charlotte-Douglas International Airport, according to WCNC.

Nurse Hickox to Leave Maine Town

Kaci Hickox, the nurse who treated Ebola patients in West Africa and publicly fought Maine's attempts to place her in mandatory quarantine, stated that she plans to move out of the state, according to NBC News.

Hickox and her boyfriend, Ted Wilbur, will leave Fort Kent sometime after Monday, which is the last day of the virus' 21-day incubation period, NBC News added. Wilbur, a senior nursing student at the University of Maine, withdrew from the campus on Friday.

According to Wilbur, he was forced to stay away from the university while Hickox was in the news defying quarantine orders.

However, FOX News reported that university officials said Wilbur voluntarily agreed to withdraw from the campus.

"I wish that his university had showed more leadership in all of this. I think they only fueled the flames of confusion and misinformation. That's been really disappointing for us," Hickox stated, as quoted by FOX News.

FOX News added that Hickox and Wilbur said "they were exploring the idea of relocating and looking at a new college" outside of Maine.

"We're going to try and get our lives back on track," Wilbur said, as reported by NBC News.

Hickox previously argued that there was no need for her to be quarantined because she was not displaying any symptoms of the deadly virus. Upon her arrival on Oct. 24 in New Jersey from Sierra Leone -- one of West Africa's Ebola-stricken countries -- Hickox was briefly isolated and then allowed to travel to Maine, NBC News noted.

The governor and health officials of Maine imposed a mandatory quarantine on Hickox, but "a judge refused to impose that order, and instead allowed her to leave her home as long as she was monitored for symptoms," NBC News concluded.

© 2015 Latin One. All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.
  • Sign up to receive the lastest news from LATINONE

Curiosidades

Real Time Analytics