Updated 07:46 PM EST, Wed, Dec 02, 2020

Alexander Dimitrenko Agrees to Fight WBA Champion Luis Ortiz on March 5

  • +
  • -
  • Sign up to receive the lastest news from LATINONE
Close

Former European heavyweight champion Alexander Dimitrenko has agreed to fight WBA interim heavyweight champion Luis Ortiz on March 5 at the DC Armory in Washington. The bout will be aired live on HBO.

Dimitrenko and Ortiz have yet to ink a formal contract for the heavyweight clash, but Boxing News 24 reported that Greg Cohen Promotions and Golden Boy Promotions have already agreed to the terms of the fight.

ESPN boxing reporter Dan Rafael revealed that Golden Boy Promotions had a difficult time finding an opponent for Ortiz. He said heavyweight fighters such as Alexander Ustinov, Bermane Stiverne, Carlos Takam, Andy Ruiz and Andrey Fedosov have all turned down a fight against the undefeated Cuban boxer.

It can be remembered that Ortiz defeated American pugilist Bryant Jennings in just seven rounds on Dec. 19, 2015. Dubbed as "The Real King Kong," Ortiz's dominating performance, culminating in a brutal left uppercut that sent Jennings face first into the canvass, could have intimidated countless of his heavyweight contemporaries.

Dimitrenko, meanwhile, doesn't seem fazed by the pressure. Standing three inches taller than the six-foot four Ortiz, the German boxer has been on a five-match winning streak after losing to Bulgarian fighter Kubrat Pulev in 2012. However, his wins have come at the expense of journeyman boxers.

After hearing about the agreement between Dimitrenko and Ortiz, heavyweight veteran Tony Thompson was surprised Ortiz picked the European over him, as per Boxing Scene. He wondered why the Cuban heavyweight champion would put his title on the line against a man who previously passed out before a fight.

"That fight would be a joke, I hope they don't do it," said Thompson. "Don't worry, if Dimitrenko faints after signing the contract, I'll be happy to step in."

The 44-year old American is confident he will beat Ortiz, since he has the body type and skills to do so. According to Box Rec, "The Tiger" has won 40 times in his 16-year professional boxing career, with 27 of those wins coming by way of knockout.

"Of course, I'm 6'5 260lbs. I would put a whoopin' on that fool that would leave HBO and Golden Boy scratching they heads," Ortiz replied when asked if he would be defeat Ortiz. "I'm telling you, Ortiz is as ordinary as his paper thin resume. I will take him into rounds 8-9-10-11 and drown him in the deep end."

Ortiz was suspended from boxing for eight months in 2015, for failing to comply with boxing regulations on the use of anabolic steroids. Due to the violation, his 2014 first-round knockout of Lateef Kayode was ruled as a no-contest.

The March 5 boxing event will also feature US Olympian Sadam Ali against former welterweight champion Jessie Vargas.

© 2015 Latin One. All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.
  • Sign up to receive the lastest news from LATINONE

Curiosidades

Real Time Analytics