Updated 04:48 AM EDT, Sun, Oct 21, 2018

Bigfoot Hunter Rick Dyer Admits He's Been Charging People to See a Fake Sasquatch

  • +
  • -
  • Sign up to receive the lastest news from LATINONE
Close

After claiming to have shot and killed a real Bigfoot, Ricky Dyer has admitted that the 800-pound beast that he's been lugging around on a national tour is just a prop.

Dyer, a self-described professional Bigfoot hunter, claimed to have shot and killed the mythical creature in the San Antonio woods back in 2012. Earlier this year, he began traveling with what he claimed to be the body of the beast, charging spectators $10 to get a glimpse.

However, after a falling out with his Bigfoot crew, Dyer confessed that the 8-foot tall body he named "Hank" is actually a manufactured spectacle made to look like a Bigfoot.

Dyer and his former crew apparently got into a legal dispute that led to Dyer announcing "the truth" on Facebook.

"From this moment on, I will speak the truth! No more lies, tall tales or wild goose chases to mess with the haters. I never treated anyone bad, I'm a joker, I play around, that's just me," Dyer said on Friday via his Facebook page, which has since been deleted, reports the New York Daily News.

"Coming clean about everything is necessary for a new start!" he continued. "From this moment own (sic) I will speak the truth! No more lies, tall tales or wild goose chases to mess with the haters!"

In Dyer's post, he also said that the nationwide tour grossed close to $60,000.

On Monday, Dyer's former spokesman Andrew Clacy also revealed to the San Antonio Express-News that the body is fake. He says that he was initaially led to believe that the Bigfoot body was authentic, but once he found it was fake he immediately resigned and returned "home to Australia."

"I confronted Mr. Dyer in Daytona on my suspicions [of authenticity], [and he] admitted to me personally that the body of 'Hank' was not a real body, but rather a construct of a company from Washington State which was paid for by Rick Dyer," said Clacy in a written statement. "I am available and willing to cooperate with any Federal or State law enforcement investigations should they arise."

Clacy added, "Mr. Dyer needed me to believe the body was real so I would contact the media and help make him money, which I did," he told The news. "Once I became (aware of) the truth I could no longer continue in my role with Rick Dyer on moral and ethical grounds and made the decision to immediately return home to Australia to continue my business."

Although Dyer admitted that the body was a fake, he continued to defend his story of shooting a Bigfoot in 2012.

Dyer got caught in a similar scam back in 2008 when he claimed to have killed a Bigfoot that was later discovered to be a $400 modified gorilla suit.

© 2015 Latin One. All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.
  • Sign up to receive the lastest news from LATINONE

Curiosidades

Real Time Analytics