Updated 05:14 PM EST, Mon, Nov 23, 2020

FIFA Corruption Case: Federal Judge Denies Alfredo Hawit's Request for House Arrest

  • +
  • -
  • Sign up to receive the lastest news from LATINONE
Close

Fédération Internationale de Football Association's (FIFA) former vice president Alfredo Hawit was denied house arrest by a New York judge on Thursday.

An AFP report published by NDTV Sports said that Judge Robert Levy rejected the request of Hawit's lawyer, Justin Weddle, to place the former FIFA executive under house arrest at his daughter's Miami residence.

Hawit is being investigated for FIFA corruption allegations. He was handed over by Switzerland to United States authorities on Wednesday after his arrest last December.

It was noted in the AFP report that the accused has denied the charges of "racketeering conspiracy, wire fraud and money laundering" thrown against him.

Despite the house arrest rejection, Levy has reportedly opened a possibility that Hawit's request could be reconsidered if they deposit an amount of $20,000-$50,000.

The Associated Press noted in a report per Newsday that Hawit has entered his "not guilty plea" on Wednesday for the $200 million case, which also implicates 40 other people from various countries.

Prosecutors have requested that the bail for the former FIFA executive should be set at $4 million and guaranteed by $500,000 in cash or a US property, since he is "significant flight risk."

With bail conditions for the accused not yet set, Weddle has already asked for "lenient" bail rules for Hawit, whom he claimed is suffering from pancreatitis.

"This defendant is not a wealthy defendant. He's not the type of person who can kind of slink away and disappear," Weddle added.

After his arrest last month in Zurich, the FIFA ethics committee slapped him with a 90-day suspension with his link to the bribery scandal in FIFA's sale of marketing rights, as per ESPN FC.

Aside from Hawit, Juan Angel Napout, another high-ranking official, was also arrested last month.

This was followed by the charging of 16 other FIFA officials connected to the corruption scandal, BBC reported.

It added that among those officials charged were Ricardo Teixeira, Ariel Alvarado, Rafael Callejas, Bryan Jimenez, Rafael Salguero, Hector Trujillo, Reynaldo Vasquez, Manuel Burga, Carlos Chavez, Marco Polo del Nero, Eduardo Deluca, Jose Luis Meiszner and Romer Osuna.

Despite causing a lot of problems for FIFA, CNN said the league has earlier expressed its desire to cooperate with the ongoing investigation.

"FIFA will continue to cooperate fully with the U.S. investigation as permitted by Swiss law, as well as with the investigation being led by the Swiss Office of the Attorney General," the statement of the football governing body read.

© 2015 Latin One. All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.
  • Sign up to receive the lastest news from LATINONE

Curiosidades

Real Time Analytics