Updated 05:33 AM EDT, Mon, Jun 14, 2021

Tyler Sash's Cause of Death: Autopsy Reveals Former Giants Safety Died of an Accidental Overdose of Pain Meds

  • +
  • -
  • Sign up to receive the lastest news from LATINONE

More than a month after he was found dead inside his Iowa home, test results show that former NFL player Tyler Sash died of an overdose of pain medications.

An Associated Press report published by Yahoo Sports said that a medical exam revealed that Sash died "from an accidental overdose after mixing two powerful pain medications" adding that his history of injuries might have also contributed to his death.

An autopsy on the 27-year-old safety revealed that his demise was due to an accidental mix of methadone and hydrocodone, drugs used to relieve intense pain.

It was also noted that separate tests were also conducted to see if he also suffered from chronic traumatic encephalopathy, which is said to be caused by repetitive trauma. Results of these are expected in about a year.

Yahoo Sports noted that the Iowa State Medical Examiner identified Sash's recent shoulder dislocation and chronic shoulder pain as vital factors on his passing.

An earlier Daily Mail report said that Sash was discovered dead on Sept. 8 by a family member who went home at around 8 a.m. after walking his dog.

Another Fox Sports report noted that when an emergency team arrived at his residence, Sash was already unresponsive. The angle of foul play was immediately ruled out though the cause of death was still unknown at that time.

"We were all deeply saddened today to hear of the passing of Tyler. Our thoughts and prayers go out to Tyler's family and friends and all the Hawkeyes he was so proud to represent," the New York Giants said in a statement quoted by Fox Sports.

Sash played for the Giants in 2012 and was a standout in his position even if he was still a rookie. Yahoo Sports, however noted that he got suspended the same year for performance-enhancing substance abuse since he tested positive for the stimulant Adderall.

In addition, Fox Sports mentioned that the Giants did not continue having Sash on the team in 2013 when they reached an injury settlement for the concussion he sustained in the preseason finale versus the New England Patriots.

He also got arrested last year in Oskaloosa after he reportedly "led police officers on a four-block chase with a motorized scooter before running into a wooded area."

Authorities said they used a stun gun on him when he refused to be handcuffed. It was added in the Fox Sports report that he pleaded guilty to public intoxication and was slapped with a $65 fine.

© 2015 Latin One. All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.
  • Sign up to receive the lastest news from LATINONE


Real Time Analytics