Updated 01:29 AM EDT, Tue, Oct 26, 2021

Guillermo del Toro's 'Pacific Rim 2' Cancelled? Here's What You Need to Know

  • +
  • -
  • Sign up to receive the lastest news from LATINONE
Close

Fans of the sci-fi monster action film "Pacific Rim" are in for some bad news.

The Hollywood Reporter claimed that del Toro's follow-up to his 2013 flick is in trouble because of Legendary Pictures' drama with Warner Bros. and Universal.

The report didn't expound on the issue, but it was basically about production funds. The Hollywood Reporter's sources said that Legendary liked that "Pacific Rim" had a successful performance in China, where the production company is greatly invested, but for now the sequel "has been halted indefinitely and will be pushed back (if it gets made at all)."

SlashFilm wrote that "Pacific Rim 2" was originally reported to have a $190 million budget. The first film only grossed $101 million at the domestic box office. The international box office saw an income of $310 million, led by $114 million in China, Variety noted.

Birth.Movies.Death reported back in July that "Pacific Rim 2" will start production in Toronto's Pinewood Studios and will have "Maelstrom" as its working title.

Aside from expanding the Kaiju's mythology, del Toro revealed that the follow-up will focus on the creatures' technology.

"There was this portal that ripped a hole into the fabric of our universe, what were the tools they were using? And we came up with a really, really interesting idea," he revealed, as quoted by Movie Pilot.

"Pacific Rim 2" is said to feature Charlie Day and Burn Gorman as the main characters. When asked whether Charlie Hunnam's character, Raleigh Becket, will be at the background in the sequel, the 50-year-old filmmaker assured that the actor will still have a major participation, according to a separate report from SlashFilm.

He also dropped a big revelation about the cast lineup. "I think that everybody or most everybody that survived is back. The rest we killed. We killed half the cast," del Toro shared, as reported by the news outlet.

Del Toro's announcement of the follow-up last year also revealed that the director will serve as the producer alongside Legendary's Thomas Tull and Jon Jashni, Mary Parent, and Callum Greene, Variety listed.

Del Toro will reportedly pen the screenplay alongside Travis Beacham and Zak Penn of "X-Men: The Last Stand." "Pacific Rim 2" is expected to bow in theaters on Aug. 4, 2017, Global News noted. However, now that Universal is backing out of the project, this announced release date may not come to fruition.

Legendary ended its agreement to co-produce and co-finance films with Warner Bros in 2013, Variety added. A similar partnership took place with Universal, and the two companies shared funds on projects such as "Jurassic World," "Straight Outta Compton," "Steve Jobs," and "Crimson Peak."

© 2015 Latin One. All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.
  • Sign up to receive the lastest news from LATINONE

Curiosidades

Real Time Analytics