Updated 08:42 PM EST, Sat, Dec 15, 2018

Miss USA Pageant Goes On! Beauty Contest Hires New Hosts Following Donald Trump's Comment Scandal

  • +
  • -
  • Sign up to receive the lastest news from LATINONE
Close

The fight for the Miss USA title is still going on!

Despite the scandal involving pageant owner Donald Trump's stance on immigration, the show will go on after being moved from NBC to Reelz, with new hosts.

The Hollywood Reporter said that Daytime Emmy-Winning TV Presenter Todd Newton, former Miss Wisconsin USA 2011 Alex Wherley, and OK! TV host Julie Alexandria will be replacing Cheryl Burke, Thomas Roberts, and Jeannie Mai.

All three original hosts dropped out in protest following Trump's offensive comments about Mexican immigrants.

The pageant has been under the brunt of criticism following Trump's scandal, with NBC dropping the show and cutting all ties with the mogul.

In a statement published by Variety, the network said, ""Due to the recent derogatory statements by Donald Trump regarding immigrants, NBCUniversal is ending its business relationship with Mr. Trump. At NBC, respect and dignity for all people are cornerstones of our values."

NBC's actions resulted in a domino effect of individuals and companies pulling out their support for Trump. Entertainment Weekly reported that Macy's and other sponsors also followed suit by dropping him as a partner. Not long after, performer Flo Ria and former NFL player Emmitt Smith (who would have served as a judge) also departed the show.

On the billionaire's end, he is currently suing Univision for $500 million for contract breach regarding the pageant.

Weeks after Trump's offensive comments, Burke, who departed the show last week with Roberts wrote in a statement, "In light of the recent statements made by Donald Trump and the subsequent decision by NBC to cut ties with Mr. Trump, I cannot in good conscience move forward with participating in this year's Miss USA Pageant as its co-host."

Jeannie Mai, who initially vowed to stay with the pageant posted on her Instagram her own statement regarding her resignation, saying, "At the time I made my decision to remain part of the Miss USA pageant, I was under the impression that Mr. Trump would no longer be involved in the production of the show in any capacity whatsoever."

However, she is pretty clear about maintaining her stance about supporting women, adding, "Although I will no longer be participating as a co-host, I still want to support the women competing in the pageant. I feel the best way to show that is to lend my support to this year's winner of Miss USA and to make the donation I promised to her platform and charity."

© 2015 Latin One. All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.
  • Sign up to receive the lastest news from LATINONE

Curiosidades

Real Time Analytics