Updated 03:23 PM EST, Fri, Nov 27, 2020

Floyd Mayweather Jr. September 2015 Match: The Money Fighting Andre Berto or Karim Mayfield? [Poll]

  • +
  • -
  • Sign up to receive the lastest news from LATINONE
Close

For his match this coming September which is also believed to be his last prior to retirement, Floyd Mayweather Jr. announced he could go against either Andre Berto or Karim Mayfield.

Boxing News noted that these two fighters are considered "struggling welterweights" and their careers are not really doing well. Though Berto is No. 1 as declared by the WBA, the same report said that he is not a "quality fighter" and neither is Mayfield.

It was added in the SkySports report that Berto is known to be an "ordinary interim champion," but he has lost three of his six fights. Mayfield, on the other hand, was defeated twice last year and he has reportedly not yet been in a world title match.

With these choices, the public has assumed that Mayweather is trying to set aside the possibilities of going against strong fighters like Shawn Porter.

"No, I just don't feel like it's gonna happen. He (Porter) can fight on my under-card in September. Either Karim Mayfield or Andre Berto, that's who Floyd Mayweather will be facing in September. I mean, every fighter, you know. One of those guys could upset Floyd Mayweather, you never know. It's the Mayweather sweepstakes, who's gonna hit the lottery. It all depends on how I feel," The Money said.

According to Las Vegas Sun, Porter has called out Mayweather to go against him.

"I'm not looking for any more Mayweather undercards. We were looking to get on the Mayweather-Pacquiao undercard. That didn't happen. Now I'm not looking at watching him fight after I fight. I'm looking at fighting him," Porter said.

Aside from Porter, Daily Mail said Mayweather will also snub English boxer Amir Khan who has been expressing his intention to fight the undefeated American boxer.

Last month, Khan defeated Chris Algieri via a unanimous decision and saw himself as a worthy opponent for Mayweather, but this may not seem feasible after the American boxer's decision.

Other boxers earlier rumored to be going against Mayweather are IBF champion Kell Brook, Keith Thurman and Gennady Golovkin.

A similar Bleacher Report article noted that the fight is claimed to be Mayweather's last and he is hoping to make a clean record of 49-0 after he successfully beat Filipino boxer Manny Pacquiao last May 2. But he still has no final decision on who from his choices he will really go against three months from now.

It will be quite an interesting fight as Mayweather aims to continue his winning streak though it has once again raised the eyebrows of many expressing concern that the fighter is choosing contenders who are easy to beat.

In the coming days, Mayweather's camp is expected to release other details about the upcoming fight.

© 2015 Latin One. All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.
  • Sign up to receive the lastest news from LATINONE

Curiosidades

Real Time Analytics