Updated 06:34 AM EST, Sun, Dec 05, 2021

'Fifty Shades Darker' Movie Release Date, Cast & News: Out 2017? 5 Things to Expect

  • +
  • -
  • Sign up to receive the lastest news from LATINONE
Close

"50 Shades of Grey" topped the box office in its opening weekend and has since then earned more than $550 million worldwide. With the erotic film being such a phenomenal hit, it comes as to no surprise that stars Dakota Johnson and Jamie Dornan will proceed with the second film.

Here are some things that we can expect to happen to the next "50 Shades" film:

1)    According to The Hollywood Reporter, the stars earned $250,000 each for their roles, not to mention, the box office bonuses. However, with the full trilogy signed up for, it is also expected that they will try to renegotiate for seven-figure salaries for the sequel as neither of them received any backend compensation for the first film.

Of course, with "50 Shades Darker" set for 2017, there seems to be enough time for the pair to renegotiate their deals, as an insider from the film stated that they will take a page from other big films like "Twilight" and "The Hunger Games."

The source said, "It was a very basic franchise starter deal. Look at Twilight and Hunger Games, and that's where it is heading."

In case you're wondering, Jennifer Lawrence started with $500,000 for "The Hunger Games" and landed a $10 million paycheck in "Catching Fire."

2)   Film producer Dana Brunetti declined to talk specifics on the renegotiations. However, he mentioned that they are looking to keep the $40 million budget from the first film from skyrocketing due to larger salaries for the stars. Brunetti said to expect that Dornan and Johnson will become big celebrities, saying, "That was the great thing about this film - we knew we were going to be able to make stars. Now it's their opportunity to get paid on other projects. It's been a breakout role for both of them. I'm sure they are getting tons of offers on other things."

3)    It is also expected that "50 Shades of Grey" director Sam Taylor-Johnson and screenwriter Kelly Marcell will be exiting the series, especially considering that Taylor-Johnson famously can't get along with EL James, whose novels the films are based from.

4)    The director and screenwriter's exit may cost the film, as Screen Rant noted that despite its "mockable" source novel, the film showed "glimmers of being an insightful and self-aware romance story." Screen Rant also added that with Taylor-Johnson's and Marcell's exits, the franchise "seems doomed to never amount to more than the unintentional parody" that most people expected it to be.

5)    Without a script or director, The Hollywood Reporter notes that the next film will take a while to put together, and with stars Johnson and Dornan told to plan for a 2016 filming and 2017 release, with the likelihood that it will be set around Valentine's Day again.

What do you think on the progress for "50 Shades Darker?"

© 2015 Latin One. All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.
  • Sign up to receive the lastest news from LATINONE

Curiosidades

Real Time Analytics