Updated 11:03 AM EDT, Mon, Oct 19, 2020

Daniel Cormier Next Fight: Match Postponed After Jon Jones Leg Injury

  • +
  • -
  • Sign up to receive the lastest news from LATINONE
Close

The anticipated fight of Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier will have to be pushed to a later date after Jones suffered an injury during training this week.

Sources told MMA Fighting that "Jones suffered a torn meniscus in his left knee" and also sprained an ankle while on a wrestling practice last Monday. The report noted that there is still no indication whether he would need to undergo surgery.

"It's very disappointing. I started to train very hard. It's a little discouraging, but now I have time to get completely healthy. I don't know how hurt Jon is but we have to remember that I took this fight with a pre-existing (knee) injury. I could have fought through it, I just wish he would have done the same," Jones told MMA Fighting.

According to the UFC, the flyweight title fight of Demetrious Johnson versus Chris Cariaso has been declared as the main event for the UFC 178 instead of it being a co-main event in the UFC 177.

Prior to this major change in schedule, some tweaks in the UFC 178 had already been made including the place of the fight which was originally planned to take place in Toronto but was later moved to Las Vegas. Jones was also supposed to face Alexander Gustafsson but the latter injured his knee so he had to be replaced by Cormier, MMA Fighting added.

In an earlier interview with Fox Sports, Cormier said that he was assured by UFC CEO, Lorenzo Fertitta, that he will "get the next crack" at Jones.

According to MMA Fighting, the UFC has already announced that they are offering refunds to fans who already bought tickets for the Jones vs Cormier fight.

Jones and Cormier are two of the most interesting UFC fighters and they gain more limelight when they fought in the lobby of the MGM Grand last week.

In an earlier report by MMA Junkie, it was noted that the two fighters were participating during a UFC media session at the MGM Grand Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas when tension escalated, and soon after, the athletes were punching each other.

The UFC has expressed its disappointment on the brawl of its two fighters saying that it was "not a proud moment for the UFC organization."

"We expect more from our athletes, especially these two gentlemen, who are very well-trained and highly educated professionals. Their actions were clearly a violation of the UFC's code of conduct," UFC chief legal officer Kirk Hendrick said in a statement.

The two fighters, according to MMA Fighting, were already calm after the brawl but still continued to talk violently to each other.

© 2015 Latin One. All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.
  • Sign up to receive the lastest news from LATINONE

Curiosidades

Real Time Analytics