Updated 06:16 AM EDT, Sun, Sep 20, 2020

Anderson Silva Leg Break Recovery News Update: Nick Diaz Fight Not Until February?

  • +
  • -
  • Sign up to receive the lastest news from LATINONE
Close

Last Friday, UFC president Dana White tweeted that there were "no updates" on the Nick Diaz-Anderson Silva "super fight," with the former middleweight ruler not battle-ready until February 2015.

Consequently, the fight, which lured Diaz out of retirement and gave Silva an opportunity to go back on the octagon with a bang, seems to have non-existent promotional mechanisms yet, MMA Mania said. Converted to fan speak, that's more waiting time.

"Informed chatter" around the fight surfaced with updates on UFC 178, slated for September, said MMA Fighting, pits Silva as the most likely next opponent for Diaz.

The matchup is the only bout that has the makings of a breakthrough fight, the report adds. The comeback rhetoric applies to both fighters, and Silva's age, 39, makes him less of the perfection that would likely give Diaz a beating. On Thursday, Diaz inked a three-fight contract extension, Bloody Elbow reports.

Last month, Silva's manager said the former kingpin was set for the possible match, another MMA Fighting article said. "He's definitely coming back," Ed Soares is quoted as saying on The MMA Hour. "We won't see him back any earlier than the end of this year or, most likely, the beginning of next year.

Cited by the report as one of the most accomplished fighters in the UFC, Silva (33-6) went flailing to the sidelines with a leg break in a rematch against Chris Weidman in UFC 168 but recovered remarkably.

Soares already had the idea that Nick Diaz would be suited for Silva, the report noted. "Nick Diaz has said he's wanted to fight him before... You could argue that Nick Diaz and Anderson probably have some of the best boxing in MMA, so we'll see what happens," he said.

Diaz would come from a two-game losing streak, losing to Carlos Condit at UFC 144 and then Georges St-Pierre at UFC 153, Inside Fights said. White offered Diaz other fights—a rematch against Condit, for example—but Diaz opted to wait on Silva for a bigger payday, it adds.

According to Bloody Elbow, fans were surprised to see Nick Diaz ink a contract with the UFC while media scrums eyeing the goings-on in younger brother Nate Diaz's career. His self-imposed retirement came with his loss to St-Pierre back in March 2013.

On his comeback, he told UFC.com that he would say yes to "anything that's going to do well." He added, however, that with Silva, "[it] would be a great fight for people to see because he has my type of style."

© 2015 Latin One. All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.
  • Sign up to receive the lastest news from LATINONE

Curiosidades

Real Time Analytics