Updated 01:31 AM EDT, Tue, Oct 27, 2020

Argentine President Mauricio Macri Promises 66 Percent of Reconstruction Aid to Flood Victims

  • +
  • -
  • Sign up to receive the lastest news from LATINONE
Close

Argentina's President Mauricio Macri assured that 66 percent of the reconstruction aid will go to areas where 20,000 people were evacuated due to the severe flooding in the region.

The Argentine leader announced the news on Sunday in a press conference in Concordia, the city that was hit the most by the historic flooding that ravaged the country's northeastern region, Fox News Latino reported.

"Know that you are not alone," he said, as quoted in the news outlet's report.

According to Fox News Latino, Macri's press conference in the city marks his first appearance leading the crisis committee initiated by the government. He delayed his holiday vacations to address the crisis and to highlight the coordination among national, provincial, and local authorities. Macri also expressed his gratitude to Argentines for their numerous gestures of solidarity for those affected by the tragedy.

The country's Solidarity Network organization has accepted 55 tons of donations, specifically clothing, potable water, diapers, and cleaning products, Fox News Latino listed. Non-governmental organizations have also contributed to assist thousands of families who spent Christmas away from their flooded homes.

In order to reduce flooding in the future, Macri swore to develop "more permanent solutions" when the water subsides, such as building dams and aqueducts that will be of assistance in preventing the accumulation of water during storms, the news outlet added. At present, the absence of rainfall has evened out the rivers' rise throughout northeastern Argentina and the water level is expected to recede next week if the weather remains dry.

The evacuees at the Concordia shelters said that this is the sixth time that local river waters have carried away all their properties, Fox News Latino noted. However, many people do not remember such a huge flood in the Uruguay River, marking the recent flooding as the worst one in the past 50 years.

Last week, over 20,000 residents of five coastal provinces in Argentina have been forced to evacuate due to floods caused by the overflowing of the Parana, Paraguay, and Uruguay rivers. The cities of Chaco, Corrientes, Formosa, and Santa Fe have been affected, especially Entre Rios, whose provincial government declared a state of emergency, according to a report from Prensa Latina.

Yahoo! News reported that almost 150,000 citizens were forced to evacuate from their homes in Paraguay, Argentina, and Uruguay because of the severe flooding. Paraguay and Uruguay also declared state of emergencies, with Paraguayan President Horacio Cartes saying that they are rolling out more than $3.5 million in disaster funds.

© 2015 Latin One. All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.
  • Sign up to receive the lastest news from LATINONE

Curiosidades

Real Time Analytics