Updated 08:48 AM EDT, Tue, Sep 17, 2019

National Coffee Day! 5 Fun Coffee Facts

  • +
  • -
  • Sign up to receive the lastest news from LATINONE
Close

The United States consumes the most coffee as a nation, but per capita, it's equivalent to less than one cup of coffee (0.93) per person per day, as shown in statistics compiled by Euromonitor via Sacbee.com. The biggest coffee consumption goes to Netherlands, with each person averaging 2.4 cups per day per person.

That information is in line with the day's celebration: September 29 is National Coffee Day and here are some fun facts for coffee lovers:

1) Legend has it that Ethiopian shepherds noticed the effects of caffeine when they saw their goats become frisky and even started "dancing" after consuming coffee beans, said an infographic from The Oatmeal.

2) The Roasterie said that almost all the coffee in the world grows in the "bean belt", which is an area between the Tropics of Cancer and Capricorn and stretches from the Eastern Mexican Border to New Guinea and places in between. That being said, the only U.S. State that grows their own beans is Hawaii.

3) The world consumes more Arabica coffee than Robusta. Approximately 70% of the world consume the mild and aromatic flavor while the other 30% prefer the more bitter, but caffeine-laden Robusta.

4) Coffee is actually healthy (which means that yes, you can get the next cup). According to Distractify, a single cup of coffee contains 11% of the daily requirement for Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), 6% Pantothenic Acid (Vitamin B5), 3% Manganese and Potassium, and 2% Niacin and Magnesium. It is also said to increase metabolism 3% to 11% and caffeine can help with fat burning.

5) The most expensive coffee in the world is Black Ivory Coffee, which is made from elephant poop. It costs roughly around $50 per cup. Another expensive coffee is the Luwak (or Civet coffee) which is made with coffee beans eaten and then pooped by civet cats. The Luwak costs around $100 to $600 per pound in 2010.

Oh, and finally, a bonus coffee facts:

As The Oatmeal had to remind its audience, espresso (not expresso) is not a particular type of coffee bean, roast, or blend. It is simply the way the beverage is prepared. You can get express by shooting pressurized hot water through a finely ground coffee.

You can achieve your favorite coffee drink by adding ingredients to your espresso. For instance, Cappuccino is equal amounts espresso and milk, with foam; Caffee Latte is one part espresso and two parts milk, with foam; while Americano is one part espresso and three parts water.

Happy National Coffee Day! Did you get your caffeine dose yet?

© 2015 Latin One. All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.
  • Sign up to receive the lastest news from LATINONE

Curiosidades

Real Time Analytics