Updated 05:46 AM EST, Sun, Dec 05, 2021

Director Kevin Smith Blasts Youtube Over Copyright Policy Concerning Video Game Videos

  • +
  • -
  • Sign up to receive the lastest news from LATINONE
Close

Youtube upset many users when it recently implemented a new copyright protection policy that took down thousands of videos featuring video game footage and music. Since then, numerous video game developers and publishers have defended users affected by the new policy, and now filmmaker Kevin Smith has come out in support for those affected as well. 

Smith, the director of such movies as "Clerks," "Dogma" and "Red State," was interviewed on "George Stroumboulopoulos Tonight," and rallied against Youtube's new policies, which he said limit creative freedom and risk the livelihood of many people who create these videos as a profession.

"On YouTube they're starting to cull all the these video game clips...And I know a lot of people who have built careers off of taking video game footage and running commentary under it or reviewing it. And so now YouTube's gone like 'You don't have the rights to do this.' And they're starting to pull back on the freedom of expression people have been enjoying on YouTube for a while," Smith said, according to Gamespot

In addition, Smith claimed that companies such as Capcom and Ubisoft were smart to defend the users who had videos taken down by Youtube. After all, Smith reasoned, those companies receive free publicity for these videos. Even videos discussing terrible video games can help them gain popularity if they are made in a humorous way.

The acclaimed director concluded that those who make these now-banned videos mean well and Youtube should not squash the creativity of its users over the issue.

"They're not hurting anybody with clips of video games...Don't stamp down someone's creativity; even if it's someone else's creativity with other people's material, because you make found art out of art that you find."

This controversy began after Youtube began taking down videos featuring copyrighted video game music from Nintendo after the site changed its policies concerning copyright use and infringement. However, Nintendo was unaware of the move, and soon other videos began to be taken down. Several popular Youtube personalities spoke out against Youtube for the changes.

Youtube's letter to those afflicted by the move offered no apology but instead listed what the user had done wrong. Now, with many video game publishers and developers supporting these Youtube users, it remains to be seen if Youtube will back down.

© 2015 Latin One. All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.
  • Sign up to receive the lastest news from LATINONE

Curiosidades

Real Time Analytics