Updated 08:27 AM EDT, Mon, Sep 16, 2019

Boston Marathon Bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev Sentenced to Death Via Lethal Injection

  • +
  • -
  • Sign up to receive the lastest news from LATINONE
Close

For his role in carrying out an attack that ended the lives of three people and wounded 264 others, Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev received a death sentence from a U.S. jury on Friday.

The federal jury, according to Reuters, ruled to give the 21-year-old Tsarnaev death by lethal injection instead of just handing him a life sentence without the possibility of release.

Last month, the same jury convicted Tsarnaev of placing a pair of homemade pressure-cooker bombs on April 2013 near the finish line of the marathon and fatally shooting a policeman.

According to Reuters, Tsarnaev was quiet when his sentence was read to him. It added that based from the prosecutors' presentation of evidence, Tsarnaev carried out the attack "as an act of retribution for U.S. military campaigns in Muslim-majority countries."

The same report, however, clarified that his sentence will not immediately be carried out as there is an expected appeal from the defense lawyers with the possibility of prolonging the justice process.

"I know that there is still a long road ahead. There are going to be many, many dates ahead. But today we can take a breath, and actually breathe again," said survivor Karen Brassard, who lost a leg after the attack, in the Reuters article.

The appeal could reportedly focus on the court's denial of the defense's petition to move the trial out of Boston or the refusal to challenge the photos and videos seen by the jury after the incident.

A similar USA Today report said that the Federal Bureau of Prisons will also review his case and decide where he is supposed to stay prior to his execution.

"Most federal prisoners sentenced to death serve their time at a federal prison in Terre Haute, Indiana, where executions are conducted by lethal injection," added USA Today.

In an interview with ABC News, Tsarnaev's father Anzor said that they are still hoping things will get better for the family after the sentence was handed out to his son.

"We will fight until the end. What a parent can feel at such moment? It is hard. Hope exists always. We had hope and still do," the father, who is in Russia, added in the ABC News report.

Tsarnaev's uncle Saeed, on the other hand, blamed lawyers for still giving their family hope in the case of the 21-year-old. He also tagged the sentence as a "big tragedy" and "something insulting" to the name of the family.

ABC News added that the family is confident that Tsarnaev was not guilty of the killings though they claimed that the death sentence was already predictable given the circumstances of the case.

This death sentence could mean a long-time justice served to all the victims of the bombings with many other people hoping that this would not happen again as the country has proven that it will make people liable for what they have done.

© 2015 Latin One. All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.
  • Sign up to receive the lastest news from LATINONE

Curiosidades

Real Time Analytics